"Servitas in cultu et cultus per servitatem"
Worship in Service and Service through Worship

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Spoon fed

"Always expect the unexpected."  This well-known advice is constantly on the verger's mind.  However, "expect the expected" would be a better description of my experience on Sunday.

At a recent refresher course for our chalice bearers I stressed the need to use a spoon to remove a host accidentally dropped in the chalice and not trying to fish it out with your fingers.  I also mentioned that fortunately, it had never happened to me.  That was a mistake.

A last minute call-off saw me bearing the chalice at our 9:00 a.m. family service the very next day.  The fact that it is a family service sees many children participating - that's one of the reasons I love this service.  As some of the communicants are what I call "knee-high to a grasshopper," it is obviously necessary to get to their level so that they can see where they are intincting.  I was doing this, on one knee, when one youngster accidentally dropped his host.  Remembering the instructions (emphasized by me at the aforesaid course), I took the chalice to our deacon who, with grace and dignity, removed the host with the spoon provided.  Now I can share the experience with those who have yet to do so.

The 11:00 a.m. service went smoothly enough, but I was dismayed to see two of the candles with higher flames than the others.  I had taken great trouble, or so I thought, the previous day to trim the wicks, so was concerned that this was happening at the start of the service.  Much to my relief they both settled quickly.

Sunday was our Committment Sunday.  Members are invited at all services to place their pledges of Time, Treasure and Talent on the altar.  This is always a moving experience and a practice I feel is an important part of the stewardship campaign.

With two weddings, a memorial service, Christ the King and then Advent, it promises to be a busy time in our downtown parish.

No comments:

Post a Comment